Tuesday, April 26, 2011

What Causes Herpes?

Herpes Transmission

Ask:

Can you get herpes without having direct sexual contact? Can you get herpes if someone had herpes and had touched the sink in a public restroom and you touched it then later touched yourself could that give you herpes?

Answer:

Herpes is caused by the herpes simplex virus. There are 8 different herpes simplex viruses, the most common are herpes simplex virus 1 and 2.

Herpes simplex virus 1 is usually responsible for cold sores, but can also cause genital herpes.

Herpes simplex virus 2 is usually responsible for genital herpes, but can also cause cold sores.

Herpes can NOT be spread by using a toilet seat after someone, using a shower or tub after them, using a chair after them, a pool, jacuzzi, etc.

Herpes is almost always spread by sex (vaginal, oral, and anal) or by DIRECT skin to skin contact with an infected area.

I have had herpes for over 6 years now. I lived with my parents and brothers most of those 6 years (I contracted the virus when I was 17). NONE of my family members ever got genital herpes from me by using something after me like the toilet or shower. I've also had several other family members and boyfriends (now ex's) use the bathroom after me and NONE of them ever contracted the virus. It's just not spread that way.

Source:Yahoo Answers


No comments:

Post a Comment